Categories are used to help organize all of the courses in the course catalog. You can choose to organize courses by subject matter, department, year-level, or by any other criteria that best fits your institution. Instructors will be asked to assign a category (based on the list that you create) to each of the courses they author.
To access the Categories page, select Course Presets from the left-hand navigation menu and select Categories. This page has three areas:
- Courses by Category: shows you the number of courses in the catalog associated with each category. NOTE: categories with no associated courses will not appear here. (See Figure 1).
- Students by Category: shows you the total number of students enrolled in each category area (e.g. total number of students in all computer science courses). (See Figure 2).
Categories: shows you a breakdown of each category that exists, and the number of courses associated with it.
- To View all of the courses associated with a particular category, click on the “# of Courses” link beneath the category name.
- To Edit a category name, click on the Pencil icon to the right of the category you wish to edit.
- To Assign courses to a category, click on the Categories icon to the right of the category you wish to assign courses to. Clicking in the text box will open a drop-down menu containing all of the courses in the catalog for you to choose from. You can also start typing the name of the course to search. To Remove courses from this category, click on the ‘X’ next to the course title.
- To Delete a category, click on the red ‘X’ icon next to the category you wish to delete. NOTE: This will permanently delete the category and all of its course associations.