Forums is a full-featured forum system that students can use to communicate with one another. A forum is a container for threads, which are individual conversations open to all users in a course.
NOTE: Instructors have the ability to edit or delete posts and comments in threads, as well as move an entire thread to a different forum. These options are all available within any thread.
You can access the Forums in one of two ways:
- From the Course Dashboard: Click the View All Connect Activity button located in the Connect module.
- From the Navigation Bar: Under Connect, click Forums.
By default, there are always at least three main forums on your Forums page: one for Coursework, one for Sessions, and one for General conversation topics. Whenever you create a new session or coursework, you can automatically create a new subforum for it, which will go in the Sessions or Coursework forum respectively.
Creating a New Thread
- Click New Thread.
- Select a forum to add your thread to.
- Make a title and write the first post of the thread. Use the format bar to format your post and add media.
- Click Create.
- Now you've got a new thread! We always recommend starting a course out with an "introduce yourself" thread so everyone can meet each other and get comfortable using the forums.
Creating a New Forum
- Click Manage Forums > Add New Forum.
- Add a title (e.g. Reading Discussions).
- Optionally, add a short description of what kind of threads go in this forum.
- You can restrict forum visibility and access to a group of students (it will still be accessible by all instructors). Just turn on Private and check off the student(s) who should have access to this forum.
- Click the Save button. NOTE: You can edit these details anytime, as well as delete forums you don't need.